Change in Policy: Numbers 3; 8; 18
Reading: Numbers
3:5-12; 8:5-16; 18:1-2
BibleDictionary, “Aaronic Priesthood” (599-600); “Levites” (724)
In these scriptures there is a description of
changes in the order of the priesthood.
The Lord saw fit to consecrate those who were worthy in the tribe of
Levi to serve in the tabernacle under Aaron and his sons. They were called by the Lord through his
prophet, Moses.
Similarities in the
wording of Numbers 3:5-12 and Official Declaration—2:
The wording in Numbers
3:5-12 and Official Declaration is similar in that it describes that revelation
changing organization in the church is established from the Lord, by the prophet.
Reading: Numbers 8:6, 14; Isaiah 52:11; Doctrine and Covenants121:34-36, 41–42
In order to have the power of the priesthood, a male must be
“cleansed” (Numbers 8:6) and qualify by worthiness, upholding a certain standard
(Official Declaration). They are also
set apart as Numbers 8:14 refers to by the word ‘separate.’ This means that they are set apart to do the
Lord’s will as specified in the scriptures per specific calling and clarified
by modern day prophets (such as in the modern day handbook).
It’s important to step back and look at your circumstances from an eternal perspective because you may see blessings ahead that may motivate you to be more diligent in qualifying for them instead of forfeiting them due to shortsightedness. I was reading in Numbers 14 near the end of the chapter when the Lord rebukes the children of Israel, specifically condemning all those who complained, age 20 and above. They were blessed to be led by the Lord miraculously out of Egypt and throughout the wilderness towards (even if in a roundabout way sometimes because of their own unpreparedness) but still did not qualify and I just thought it must have been hard for them to endure when they could not appreciate the blessings ahead. It truly was a trial of faith. I hope that I can have the courage to look at my trials from an eternal perspective and realize that the Lord in his infinite goodness can help me and I will be okay if I just keep trying my very best to be obedient.
No comments:
Post a Comment