Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Contrast in Choices ...What end do we want?

In the Bible there is a stark contrast in the example of Abraham and his brother Lot who was tempted by the flashiness of a wicked city and ended up partaking of more evil.  His choices put him in a compromising situation whereas Abraham avoided the evil completely and was blessed.  The first verse in the chapter following the last story says: Fear not, I am thy shield, and thy exceedingly great reward” (Genesis 15:1). 

Lot’s Story: Genesis 13:10-12; 14:1-12; 19:1

(These "blurbs" are based on questions prompted by the teacher)

It seems like Lot was swayed by the wealth of vegetation of Sodom because it was “well watered” (Gen. 13:10), but he pitched his tent toward the land of Sodom so I think that something in his heart was attracted to that city. 

I think Lot was facing Sodom and maybe there’s some research I could do that would explain more about that culture and custom.  Without that knowledge, I believe that “toward” simply refers to the orientation of his dwelling physically that represented an inner inclination to orient his mind to the land of Sodom(Gen 13:12).  It seems like he wanted to be a part of it.

In 2 Nephi 28:7-9 (from the Book of Mormon) there are example of how people justify committing just a “little” sin.  This seems to be the case with Lot too.  I don’t think he finds the city acceptable completely, otherwise, he could just go live there.  Instead, he chooses to live near it and facing it (but not in it).  This is dangerous because it shows a lack of commitment and gives more room to make more errors that can be bigger and more serious.

Today people may avoid obvious sins but set their hearts upon things that are wrong.  This can be very easy because sometimes we don’t always realize our unrighteous desires.  I believe though, if we are “watchful unto prayer continually” so we are not deceived and led away from the path of righteousness (Alma 34:39), we can avoid that pitfall.  I think that daily prayer and scripture study can really help prevent his because Heavenly Father can talk to you and you can talk to Him.  This allows him to let you know of anything amiss and help you fix it.  I’m so grateful for this. 

In Gen 19:2-11, Lot tries to protect his guest from the evilness of wicked men in Sodom by offering his daughters to them in order to distract them from his visitors inside. The people of Sodom were immoral, idle, homosexual, prideful, and “ful of bread” (Old Testament Institute Manual). The Lord clarifies through the prophet Ezikiel that he is not pleased with this behavior because it is not only immoral but they engaged in it while neglecting the needs of the poor and needy so he “took them away as [he] saw good” (Institute Manual for Religion 301).

Abraham's Story: Genesis 13:7-9, 18; 14:13-16, 21-23

In contrast, Abraham chose to live in the land of Mamre, in Hebron and built “alter unto the Lord” (Genesis 13:18). 

Lot was captured and taken out of Sodom.  When Abraham heard of this by someone who escaped, he took some “trained servants” and went out to find him.
Genesis 14:22-23 especially shows Abrahams faithfulness to God because he was offered a favor from the king of Sodom but would not partake because he did not want to be associated with evil.  This shows his faith to be protected and blessed by avoiding temptation and wickedness at all costs.  (Genesis 14:22-23

The city of Sodom was very rich by worldly standards but was spiritually filthy.  Moroni 10:30 (from the Book of Mormon) also “exhorts” us to avoid wickedness by not even touching the “evil gift” or “unclean thing” (Moroni 10:30).  

I loved reading about the righteous example of Abraham even though the description of evil in Lot's side of the story was sad hard to bear.  I hope that this was helpful! 

Extra Commentary: 
Gen.14:14 -Be willing to offer needed assistance
 In reading  Genesis 14:14 and the scriptures around it, I saw a prompt response from Abraham to help his brother Lot who got in a bad situation.  Abraham did not know how exactly Lot got into this situation with the kings of the land that it says and he didn't even know why his  brother was held captive.  I noticed that he did not hesitate just like when he was commanded to sacrifice his only son, he did not hesitate.  I think this shows true brotherly love for Lot. 
 Abraham seemed to have a very keen awareness of goodness and light that he used wisely to progress spiritually.   I think this is a commutation of spirituals gifts that were awarded him in this life naturally and also with a lot of continual striving over time.  This inspires me to sharpen my spiritual sword daily with the gifts I have and seeking more gifts so that I can fight battles against Satan more like he did, faithful and unwavering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment