This is my new blog to post for my class about the Old Testament.
This week's post tells the story of the biblical prophet, Enoch and the people who followed him. It's guided by a few main points:
What were the people Enoch was called to teach like?
How did Enoch Respond to his calling?
How was he qualified for it?
What happened to the people of Enoch?
This week's post tells the story of the biblical prophet, Enoch and the people who followed him. It's guided by a few main points:
What were the people Enoch was called to teach like?
How did Enoch Respond to his calling?
How was he qualified for it?
What happened to the people of Enoch?
Introduction:
Reading: Moses 6:26-31
Reading: Moses 6:26-31
The Lord describes the people of Enoch’s day as needing to
repent because their hearts are hard, their ears are dull, and their eyes cannot
see into the future very well even though their fathers were given the
commandments. (see verses 28 and 29 for
further description)
Enoch asked why he found favor with the Lord to be his
servant. I am young and “slow of speech”
so I am called to be your servant? (Moses
Strength from the Lord:
Readings: Moses 6:32-39: 47; 7:3-18, 69
The Lord strengthened Enoch by qualifying him for his
calling as a missionary. This applies to
me because I am preparing to go on a mission.
I want to serve the Lord, but I feel inadequate sometimes. Ways that Enoch was strengthened include “utterance”
(Moses 6: 32), words to say, extra insight into the things of Heaven (new
eyes), nature’s accommodations (mountains and rivers moved), and the Lord was
with him when people were unreceptive. (all
from readings)
Another insight:
Enoch was aware of his weakness in speech
and the Lord called him to a work that would require speech. The Lord gave Enoch an opportunity to allow
his weakness to become a strength like in Ether 12:27. The Lord says that if men come unto him, he
will show them their weakness and he gives men weakness that they will be
humble. If they are humble and have
faith, he will make weak things become strong because “his grace is sufficient.” (Summarized and quoted directly from
Ether 12:27.) Enoch takes this
opportunity for his weakness to become a strength by having faith and coming
before the Lord with humility. The Lord
definitely blesses Enoch with strength to declare the gospel like he was called
to do.
How I have seen the Lord strengthen me or someone I know:
I have seen the Lord bless my fervent prayer for more wisdom
by guiding me with his spirit lately.
There are many ways in which I can improve (and should) that overwhelm
me. I pray with hope that I can do and
become better day by day and try to focus on little steps and progress instead
of perfection so that I don’t get so overwhelmed. He hears my prayers I am confident (even the
ones that don’t come out the way I want them to or are never expressed in words
but of the heart) and wants to bless me.
I have noticed during the days small whisperings that seem to lead me to
more light. When I follow them I feel
more blessed and want to follow them even more.
This continues. My goal is to
follow more light so that I always progress forward! I am thankful for this encouraging story of
Enoch and how he was blessed of the Lord when he had faith in him. I know that as I faithfully accept the
callings extended to me, I will be qualified to fulfill them like Enoch.
Summary of People of Enoch:
Genesis 5:22-24 –This short blurb
about the prophet Enoch teaches us that Enoch begat Methuselah and other
daughters and sons, he walked with God, and he lived 365 years.
The account from Moses includes more detail. I read Moses 6:27-29, Moses 6:47; and Moses 7:1-21
to learn about the people of Enoch. It
starts out when Enoch is called to prophesy against the people because they are
not keeping the commandments. Some
people cannot stand in his presence when he speaks and there is a division
between righteous and wicked people in the land. They fight against each other in battles and
the people who chose God are strengthened; he dwells with them. In the end, Enoch learns more from the Lord
and the city he built up for the people of God is taken up “because they were
of one heart and one mind…and there was no poor among them.” (Moses 7:21)
No comments:
Post a Comment